Tuesday, March 20, 2012

NEW PROJECTS- vintage dresses

I have a small collection of vintage clothing that I've been collecting and still adding to. Since I have an etsy store now, I promised myself to put up 5 items a day. First I start out by picking out the items I want to sell and then taking nice pictures- or at least try to take nice pictures. Two of the items I was really excited about turned out to have some stains and small holes (sad face). I dont like selling things with these types of flaws. Minor flaws that can be hidden or fixed are ok but I feel these flaws are too noticeable. Im quite bummed that i wont be able to sell them as they are really cute. So after a few hours of pondering I decided to alter them by shortening the dresses which will cut away the stains and holes. YAY! i cant wait to get started on these 2 projects. The mint green Vanity Fair dress will be testing my sewing skills as these types of fabrics are hard to sew!

This is a 1960's Vanity Fair night gown. It appears to be brand new but there are water stains towards the bottom half of the skirt. I love the beautiful mint green color so to save this dress, i will shorten it to knee length :)

H&S Duchess pearl- my latest vintage jewelry find. It comes with matching earrings.

This dress is from ILGWU, the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. I researched the union label and found that this dress is from 1963-1974. I plan to shorten the dress to mid thigh length and take out the sleeves.

stain and hole towards the hem

4 comments:

  1. You're like a vintage clothing restorer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to start cutting it up! I will post them when im done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see you re-create the pieces!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for leaving a comment. It made my day!

xoxo,
stylelatte