Wednesday, September 5, 2012

FIT FOR A QUEEN {diy duvet}

Hello everyone! Finally, a post! I will be stuck at home today so I thought it was about time to update the blog. Im excited to show you my new handmade duvet! I dont know about you but I find bedding (and curtains!) to be ridiculously expensive! Why spend hundreds of dollars when you can make it yourself for $50? Yes, $50 with enough fabric to make a few pillow cases! Here, I custom made a duvet for my queen comforter. I searched the internet for measurements but it turns out there is not standard size so I measured my comforter to ensure a perfect fit. I now know why my blanket use to always be lumpy! my old duvet (even though it was queen size) did not fit properly!!!
After a bunch of fabric and a few straight seams, I can now sleep soundly without lumps of blanket balled up on top of me.  I was going to sew ties on the inside to hold the comforter in place but after a few nights without it, the comforter did not shift at all so no ties needed! Truly a custom fit :)
I am not use to flat sheets so I made my duvet with solid white back. All I need to do is turn it down at the top for an instant made bed....GENIUS right? I just cant be bothered making the bed every morning

Hidden snap closures at the bottom seam with 1" facing

my fabric of choice: dove grey and white dot pattern and solid white. 100% cotton. These are my left overs, enough for a bunch of pillow cases!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and the fabric pattern/color are perfect! It looks amazing! Next year I'll learn how to use my sewing machine and do this too!!

    Happy Happy Birthday today as well... treat yourself to something fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen, once you learn how to use the sewing machine, you'll want to make everything yourself!

      Delete

thank you for leaving a comment. It made my day!

xoxo,
stylelatte